Leadership Position and Specialist
Title: TREASURER – Member of Finance Team
Purpose: In conjunction with Director of Finance, disburse all money contributed to causes represented in the St. Luke’s budget and such other funds and contributions as the Finance Team and/or Executive Team may determine as outlined in Paragraph 258 of the Discipline of the United Methodist Church, 2012 edition.
Responsible to: Finance Team
Description of Duties:
- One of a group of authorized bank signers as approved by the Finance Team which includes review of supporting documentation to have reasonable assurance that the expenditures are appropriate and properly authorized for payment.
- Review funds disbursement procedures with Director of Finance from time to time to confirm proper procedures are being followed and report findings to the Finance Team as appropriate.
- Exploration (through designated channels) of any questions that arise regarding the disbursement of church funds.
- Active member of the Finance Team.
- Bi-Monthly Finance Team Meeting – 1-2 hours. This team meets at 6:30 p.m. on the 2nd Monday night of February, April, June, August, October and November with a possibility of an infrequently-called special meeting.
- Signing checks – ½ hour when scheduled to sign
Term: 3 years
Training and Resources: No ongoing requirements
Skills and gifts:
- General understanding of best accounting practices
- General understanding of creating budgets, and planning
- Knowledge of non-profit accounting practices helpful
- Ability to cultivate collaborative working relationships
- Helpful Experience: Significant management experience in business management, CPA, Financial Advisor, CFO, working in professional finance environment
- Gifts: Leadership, Wisdom, Faith, Administration
Benefits to one serving in this role:
- A sense of purpose in using your skills for the good of St. Luke’s
- Interaction with others who share your skills and passion
- Developing a wider sense of community
- A better understanding of the immediate and long-term mission of St. Luke’s, and working with those who ‘provide the guardrails’ to make that happen
- The satisfaction and pride that comes with being part of team whose goal is to help ensure the financial stability of St. Luke’s
Dave Cupp 7.25.13, second draft